Friday 24 February 2012

Snacking (or managing the thing that derails me most)

I have my inspirational 12WBT friend, Mary Crea (Splasharama), to thank for this post. 

I have always had a problem with snacking. I can have a beautifully measured out, stick-to-it-100% breakfast, lunch and dinner and then wave goodbye to all my hard work with uncontrolled snacking.

Last round Mary helped me enormously with her tips, advice and blog post on snacking.  This last week I have fallen off the rails for a number of reasons including snacking (which I'll write about in another post).   

In getting real with myself, I realise I can no longer pretend that my snacks are less than the amount of calories they actually are or less than the amount I actually eat. 

I don't eat the type of snacks I once did, I've tried new things thanks to Michelle's 12WBT and Mary's list of snacks and like Mary, not everything is completely Mish-approved.  My purpose in listing them below is to get a real grip on exactly what goes in my mouth, what portion I need to measure, and to plan snacks a whole lot better so that I stick to my 1200 calories per day.  Now that I've done this exercise, I feel more in control but also horrified by what I did before and the BS I told myself.

I highly recommend you do a list for yourself of things you actually eat.  The good, the bad, the ugly to get a real handle on what you are doing.  As a starting point, here's my list and Mary also has a great one on her blog at splasharama.blogspot.com


SNACK LIST
 

SWEET
cals

SAVOURY
cals
Fruit


Vegetables

Banana (medium)
105

Carrot (medium)
45
Apple (medium)
65

Celery stick
5
Orange (medium)
68



Strawberries - 250gm punnet
63

Crackers

Blueberries – 150gm punnet
78

Sunrice Multigrain 5 thin rice cakes
96
Dates – Fresh 1x 10gm
26

Vita Weat Lunch SoyLin Slices 1
78



Ryvita Original 1 cracker
35
Muesli Bars & Biscuits


Spreads

Uncle Toby’s Crunchy Choc Bars
86

Honey            2 teasp
41
Special K bars
90

Vegemite       1 teasp
11
Be Natural Trail Bars Berry
111

Marmalade    2 teasp
41
Sunrice Apple/Cinnamon Rice Cake
38

Hommous      1 tblsp
37





Dairy


Bread 1 slice

Cottage Cheese lite - 1tblsp
18

Raisin toast regular slice tip top
97
Ricotta Cheese lite   - 25gm
26

9 Grain Multigrain
92
Butter                       - 2 teasp
62

Lawsons Grain Bread
145
Yoplait Forme Yoghurt - 1 tub
70

Mountain Bread
70
Skim Cappuccino 1 med 300ml
96








Lindt 70% chocolate 10gm piece
52

Popcorn Coolpak Sgl Pkt 20gm
94
Trail Mix Sanitarium ¼ cup
188

Almonds Raw 10 nuts
72

2 comments:

  1. picking is my downfall - little pickers wear massive knickers - so i've had to be really careful with the 12wbt... My 2 fave snacks are: 2 vita wheat biccies (9 grains) with 4 tblsp of avocado, and (non Mish approved) Skinny Cow icecreams. The biccies and avo have 140 cals and it feels very generous. I had a Skinny cow choc sundae and it had 120 cals. Good to mix it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last round by week 6 I had a massive craving for muesli and this round I've been craving trail mix but its a blow-out on the cals for not much gain.

      I don't want to fill up on bread but I know that the more sugar-ry foods I eat, the more I crave them and the less likely they are to fill me up. My greatness weakness is still a blueberry muffin but doing my best to overcome it.

      I can't wait for apple season to get into full swing so that I can start making fruit more a part of my snacks.

      It's not easy Janie, is it? but recognising its a weakness and putting plans in place is a good start.

      Delete